Wednesday, July 19, 1944
The days that marked the Battle of Normandy
Operation Goodwood, which began the day before, continues. The main German resistance point of 18 July, located at Cagny, has fallen and the Germans are now concentrating their efforts in the vicinity of the villages of Guillerville and Emiéville, south-east of Caen, defended by the 21st Panzer Division and survivors of the 16th Luftwaffe Feld Division.
The Canadians of the 2nd Infantry Division, south of Caen, fought the survivors of the German infantry division, largely decimated during the previous day’s shock, which still resisted south of the village of Saint-Martin-de-Fontenay. The 11th British Armored Division progressed along the Caen-Falaise road and fought the troops of the 1st SS Panzer Division. The strategic position of Bourguébus is finally reached by the 7th British Armored Division after violent bombing. Commonwealth forces once again lose a hundred tanks in a single day, notably because of the superiority of the German Tiger tanks on the ground.
Saint-Lê is at last liberated. US soldiers of the 29th Infantry Division, after intense fighting, succeeded in pushing the defenders of the German 3rd Airborne Division (3. Fallschirmjäger-Division) out of town. Many German snipers and artillery still represent serious problems for American forces but with armored and aerial support, the streets are becoming more and more secure. The soldiers of the 29th Infantry are reinforced on July 19 by the troops of the 35th American infantry division. The liberation of Saint-Lô is excellent news for the Allies, as it opens the road to Coutances and Vire.