Panzer IV E tank
History, technical sheet and photo
Panzer IV E tank history
The Panzer IV tank was designed by German engineers before the start of World War II in Europe in 1935. Produced from 1936 onwards, this tank was initially intended to provide support for infantry actions but From its first use in combat (first on the eastern front, then to the west and then in the Mediterranean), it appears as a real destroyer of tanks, despite the weakness of its armor.
Beginning in 1942, numerous modifications were made to the Panzer IV, in order to concentrate its use on anti-tank tactics. Thus, more than a dozen models are produced by German weapons industries.
The main changes are based on the various lessons learned from the battles in Poland and France, in particular: the armor is reinforced and its use is extended to various missions.
More than 7000 Panzer IVs were constructed throughout the Second World War. It is one of the cheapest tanks in Germany (103,462 Reichsmark, less than half the value of a Tiger tank).
Panzer IV E tank specification
User: PzKpfw IV Ausf E
Length: 5,92 m
Width: 2,86 m
Height: 2,68 m
Weight: 21,000 kg
Maximum speed: 42 km/h
Operational range: 224 km
Main armament: one 75 mm StuK. 37 L/24 gun
Secondary armament: two 7,92 mm MG 34 machine guns
Engine: Maybach HL 120 TRM, 300 hp
Consumption: 210 liters per 100 kilometers
Crew: 5 (commander, gunner, loader, driver, assistant driver)
Armor: 50 mm