MG 34 machine gun (Maschinengewehr 34)
History, technical sheet and photo
MG 34 machine gun history
Established in 1934 by the German firm Rheinmetall-Borsig, this heavy machine-gun is considered to be the first true modern air-cooled, all-purpose machine-gun of the Second World War. This weapon was designed by German engineer Heinrich Vollmer working for Mauser Werke.
Used by the infantry in the early years of its production, it is used as an anti-tank and anti-aviation weapon. It was to be replaced by the MG 42, a much improved version of the MG 34, but the high cost of its production extends the life of the MG 34.
Very easily transportable by a single soldier, its main fault lies in its very high production cost, in particular because one unit requires nearly 49 kilos of steel.
The MG 34 has also been used to equip aircraft, under the name MG 81.
MG 34 machine gun specification
Denomination: MG 34
Fire mode: automatic
Caliber: 7.92×57mm Mauser
Feed system: 50/250-round belts
Maximum firing range: 4,700 m
Rate of fire: 800 rounds/min
Weight: 12,1 kg
Length: 1225 mm