The York Battery at Querqueville is for sale
The site of the Querqueville battery is a former French fort remodeled by the Germans during the Second World War. It is now for sale…
October 5th, 2016: The York battery from Querqueville in Normandy is for sale.
Author: Marc Laurenceau
Property of the French Army until the beginning of 2010, the site of the battery of Querqueville in the Cotentin is for sale for the sum of 275 000 Euros excluding costs of acquisition. Also known as the Amfreville Battery, this site is home to many remnants of the Second World War. It is now possible to acquire a part of the famous Atlantic Wall!
“Bunker archeology” enthusiasts and beautiful sea views will be seduced by this announcement: the current owner of the site of the battery of Querqueville, baptized “York”, puts on sale its ground. Several buildings, witnesses of more than one hundred years of military history, are still present and face the sea, only a few kilometers from Cherbourg.
The site, with a total area of 1,6252 hectares, is sold with several remains still on the spot, left by the military over the years and periods of occupation. According to the owner, some buildings dating from the Second World War were covered with earth directly at the end of the liberation battles, and would still be on the spot. The old German trenches are still visible through the bushes and shrubs that have grown since the last maintenance of the site.
York Battery History
Originally, the Amfreville battery is a French stronghold of artillery dating from 1898 that is inscribed in the defense of the port of Cherbourg, in the Cotentin. Beginning in 1926, three guns of 164 mm models 1893-96 were installed: these pieces opened fire on June 18, 1940 on German troops located in the Martinvast region, before being destroyed on order the following day.
The Germans seized the battery and reused the French installations while reinforcing them during the work carried out during the construction of the Atlantic Wall. They installed four naval guns from the First World War, Krupp 170 mm SKC 34 with a maximum range of 27.2 kilometers.
These rooms are housed in Regelbau M272 casemates and the shots are controlled from a two-storey post at the back of the casemates at a higher position. The entire site includes multiple shelters, ammunition bunkers and firing positions for mortars and machine guns.
The York battery was operational at the end of June when the Allies sought to seize Cherbourg and its precious deep water port. It takes to the side the American warships that cross offshore and which have been commissioned to bombard the different batteries of artillery of the area.
On June 25, an impressive duel of artillery took place for long hours between the Battery York, its counterparts in the area of Cherbourg and the allied ships. On both sides, direct fire is recorded but without causing major damage. The American warships were out of range of the German guns at about three o’clock. This support allows the ground forces to approach as close as possible to Cherbourg and its fortified points: on June 26th, the 2nd battalion of the 47th infantry regiment belonging to the 9th American infantry division takes the battery York .
Below, in 1944, a casemate type Regelbau M272 sheltering a gun of 170 mm of the battery York.
Practical information about the sale of this historic space, rare enough to be reported, is available on the website of the English real estate agency Unique Property Agency.