D-Day and Battle of Normandy museums
The idea of creating a museum integrated with the Merville battery was born thanks to the initiative of General Nigel Poett (who commanded the 5th Parachute Brigade, 6th Airborne Division, at the time of Operation Overlord) and Charles Levasseur , Then mayor of Merville-Franceville. From April to June 1982, they renovated the casemate No. 1 coded H 611 by receiving in particular the assistance of English engineers from the 10 Field Squadron Royal Engineers.
The present museum was inaugurated on June 5, 1983 and recalls the action carried out by the 9th Parachute Battalion in the early hours of June 6, 1944 to seize this fortified German point. The visitor has access to four well-equipped casemates, showing vestiges of occupation and fighting. The casemate number 1 houses a scenography “sounds, smells and lights” reviving every 20 minutes the assault of the German battery by the English paratroopers.
The battery is classified as historic monuments on October 25, 2001. In 2008, a Douglas C-47 aircraft named “SNAFU Special” is installed on the battery site and is accessible to the public. It participated in airborne operations over the English Channel during the night of June 5-6, 1944.
– Places for coaches near the museum.
– Car park near the entrance of the Merville battery.