M4 tractor history
The Great War has shown the importance of the artillery mobility and nations start replacing horses by vehicles to move artillery guns on the battlefield before World War II.
The Americans design a all-terrain vehicle capable of towing heavier guns on all the different combat zones. The Allis-Chalmers company produces a tracked vehicle in 1942 built from the M2 light tank chassis.
Deployed artillery units in 1943, it consists of a large excavator cabin at to the front of the tractor with the gun crew at the rear with space for additional equipment.
Deployed on many fronts, particularly in Normandy during Operation Overlord and during the fighting that followed, the M4 Tractor is used by the U.S. Army until 1960. Several versions are developed as M4C configured for the gunners compartment accommodates extra ammo.
M4 Tractor is also used in other armies after the Second World War such as Brazil, Greece or the Netherlands.
A more powerful version, the M6, is also produced by the Allis-Chalmers company.
M4 Tractor sheet
Name: M4 high-speed tractor
Total production : 5 000
Length: 5,23 m
Width: 2,46 m
Height: 2,51 m
Weight: 14 288 kg
Maximum speed: 53 km/h
Range: 290 km
Armement : one 12,7 mm Browning M2 machine gun
Waukesha 145GZ gasoline 6-cylinder, four-stroke, OHV, 190 hp (156 kW) at 2100 rev / min, 13 395 cc