Journal Big Red One - 16e régiment d'infanterie

Omaha Beach est le second des deux secteurs de débarquement américains. Longue de 5,9 kilomètres, cette plage est située à 12 kilomètres à l'Est de Utah Beach.
cavalier jacobin

Message non lu par cavalier jacobin »

Voici le journal officiel des opération du 16e d'infanterie, Big Red ONe, sur le débarquement en Normandie.

Journal1st Infantry Division - 16th Infantry Regiment
6 June 44

0630 - First wave lands. Schedule on beach of Normandie France (see Field 5, Hq CT 16) and meets fierce resistance on beaches. Beach is under heavy machine gun and rifle fire. No advance made inland as beaches were fully covered by pill boxes and mine fileds just inland from beaches.
0730 - Forward CP lands. Beach still under small arms and machine gun fire. No advance made inland. Casualities extremly heavy. Slight artillery fire on beach. Heavy machine gun fire covering all exits and the entire beach.
0805 - Rear CP lands. Beach still under heavy fire. CP established on beach and infiltration started thru right flank of area at small beack thru. Mine field cleared out and all troops on beach commence moving off to flank.
0830 - First four prisoners all from 8th Co, 916th Regiment, 352nd Div., brought in.
1000 - CP established just off beach on side of hill at 684895. Battalions are moving forward, but are out of contact with regimental CP. Beach and entire territory still under heavy fire and companies are meeting heavy resistance. Several landing craft have received hits and troops still landing on the beach are receiving artillery fire, causing medium casualities. Things are becomong organized, however, and the situation is beginning to clear.
1055 - 1st and 2nd Bns. get contact with the Regimental CP and are moving forward slowly, hitting very heavy resistance.
1115 - CO to CO 2nd Bn - 2nd Bn. is to hold up at point 38. Do not move further forward until you hear from us.
1120 - S-3 to S-3 1st Bn - Hold up at 38. Right, and we have contact with 2nd Bn. The 5th Co. is reported to be located at Surrain.
1135 - Negative report to Division by radio.
1145 - S-3 to 1st Bn., 18th has landed. They will go in on your right. They will take your obk=jective. You did in and prepare for a counterattack. OK. A is on the right, C on the left, with B Co. folowing. We are still advancing slowly.
1145 - S-3 to CO 2nd Battalion - I talked to Capt. Smith and told his about the 18th. How soon can you move the rear part of your CP here bu us up forwaerd. We have someone on the way back now to pick them up and guide them forward.
1205 - 1st Bn to CO - Can we get any tanks up to Colleville-sur-Mer? A: No, none of them are up to here yet. They aren't off the beach. However, as soon as we can possible get anything up, we will shoot it up to you. Keep yelling for it.
1210 - CO Can Co to S-3 - We must have some tanks or artillery up here soon. Will you see what you can do about it for us? A- OK.
1220 - Information recived thaht the 3rd Bn, 18th Inf., was in, but location at the present time was not given. Probably only a rumor.
1223 - Message to CO 3rd Bn - 2nd Bn. has had units in Colleville-sur-Mer for some time. 1st Bn. landed on the left of E-1, and is pushing in to assist the 2nd Bn. in taking its objective.
1232 - Ex 1st Bn to S-2 - A Co. at 678892. part of B; Co. is with them, and the rest is in reserve. We are going over to point 19 first, and then towards 38. C is at 681884, moving very slowly. Capt. Merendino, Co. B., saind he lost about 12 men from pill boxes firing on them. He couldn't get contact with the Battalion. Major Driscoll said he wanted him over on the right. major Driscoll to S-3 - We are 100 ayrds NW of 20. We are stille pushing.
1255 - In with 3rd Bn. by wire.
1245 - Mag. to CG 1st Div-Prisoners stated that the CP 10th Co., 726th at St. Laurent-sur-Mer. CP 12th Co., 726th at Grandcamp-les-Bains. That is in the 116th sector. 916th in sector of 16th Inf. CP, 5th Co., 916th at Surrain. The 916th relieve the 915th two weeks ago.
1301 - Out by wire with 2nd Bn.
1312 - 1st Bn., 18th Inf., lands and is passing thru the CP area, moving forward.
1318 - Major Lauten to 1st Bn - Lt. Kolb is trying to find your CP and will follow the wire line up.
1326 - S-3 to 2nd Bn Fwd - Where are you? A: CP us now moving forward. We are not in contact with them just now. They took a radio with them to keep in contact with us.
1327 - S-3 to 1st Bn - Are you with Major Driscoll now? A: No, he is at the forward CP and we can't him now. However, I can give you the dope. A co. is pinned down by a strong point, just at the head of the draw there at E-2, over by 20, West of Colleville B Co. C Co. is 100 yards NW of Point 20. The Naval Shore Fire Control Party is out with major Driscoll now. The 2nd Bn. is held down. We are in building S and E of 20. There is stuff all around. S-3: Artillery fire is coming in on the beach now. A: Well, I can't see where it is coming up here.
1355 - White out by wire.
1422 - More prisoners brought in. Prisoners have been coming in by twos and threes since the landing.
1425 - Mag. 2nd Bn to CO - Co I held up at pt 8. Co. I unable to assemble forces to advance and has enemy infiltrating his position. Co. L same situation as Co. I. Co. I and L are just beyond Pt 9. tanks and reinforcements needed. Time: 1330.
1440 - 1st Bn to S-2 - C Co. the same as before, and B Co. has moved up to the right of them. There is no other change.
1453 - S-2 to 2nd Bn - Have they cleaned out the town yet? A: The last report I had a half-hour ago was they were just on the outskirts of the town. I will chek by the 300 set and let you know.
1515 - 2nd Bn to S-2 - Cap. Dawson started into the town. He had a small counterattack. He had a couple of sections as far the church. Wozenski is trying to clean up. Dogtag is going thru the town. S-3: Halftracks are in. I am sending them up. What is you CP location? A: The CP is at 683885. We have contact with the 1st Bn only by means of passing men. The 2nd Bn., 18th is passing throught. E Co. is working up on the right, between G and Red. We received information from a civilian thaht there were about 150 Jerries in Colleville-sur-Mer. We have only about 200 men left; 115 in G, 2 officers and 40 men in E, and 2 officers and 12 men in F. There are possibly 20 more around.
1540 - 2nd Bn. to S-2: What is the latest with blue? A: Not so good. Part of I co. didn't land. Very low on strength.
1540 - 1st Bn to S-2: C Co. is moving very slowly. B is on our Right, moving slowly, because of machine gun fire. As far as we know, A Co. is in the same spot.
1640 - S-2 to switchboard: Are we in with Danger Advance? A: No, Sir.
1725 - In by wire with Decoy.
1800 - Capt. Smith, 1st Bn., to S-2: Major Driscoll says wa need stuff up here to take out these pillboxes. If we can't get it, we will be held up. We're leaving this for your consideration.
1830 - 26th INfantry started landing on beach at 1830 hours. A few enemy artillery shells landed near them along the beach. Shortly after, the cruisers and artillery guns opened up for a short period of time.
1935 - Cruisers and ships firing heavy counter battery on guns firing on beach.
1940 - Enemy barrage of artillery landing along the beach where the troops are landing. Casualities light.
2045 - S-4 to Danger 6: Do you ahve an ammunition supply? A: We don't have any as yet. S-4: Do you have any transportation in yet? A: No. We are getting some in on DUWKs and as soon as they come in, we will send you one of the DUKWs with ammunition. It will come in at E-1.
2048 - Delight line is out.
2100 - Capt. Robbins to Major Heath - A German prisoner had two maps on him with 3 spots underlined. Believe they are strong points. These are at 659874, in vicinity of the road; 665874, running along slong road to the road junction and road north of it at 666875; and at Surrain, they had underlined around 670859. Very little change.
2115 - Col. Pickett, Div. Sig., to Mr. Wiles - What is your equipment status? A: We are very short on our signal equipment. All the men that were carrying equipment were hit and we had to salvage what we could off the beach. Col. Pickett: OK. I will try to get you another signal crew and what equipement I can.
2124 - Capt. Bour, White 1, to S-1: Any imprivement on the evacuation of wounded? A: If at all possible, we will send them out to the ships tonight. Send them up to us as soon as you can, and we will take care of getting them out.
2140 - S-3 18th to S-3: Williamson is located just north of goose egg on your map. One company at 702872, one at 702872, one at 695873, and one at 788875. They are advancing to the high ground and then will move toward the West. We are holding back our 1st Bn. Do you haved anyone in Colleville? A: Not thaht we know. S-3 18th: Is your 2nd Bn. at 682878 and your 1st Bn. at 679878? A: Yes, thaht is right.
2145 - Danger 2 to S-2: What's the situation in front of you? A: Very vague. There is a pill box in the draw near Colleville, and its causing us trouble. G-2: Is the enemy close to the edge of Colleville? A: The 18th is at the top of the hill south of Colleville, but our right flank is still held by the enemy. There is no enemy North of the road except at E-3 exit, where there is a pill box. There's a heavy gun at Formigny and a few small ones at Russy. A few tanks were seen yesterday in Colleville. G-2: What about your left company? A: They are on the edge of Lahammerroe. G-2: Did you run into any tanks? A: No reports of any today. We got prisoners from 10th and 14th companies. 916th is the only company we are in contact with now. G-2: There is a lot of shelling from the southeast and the Maisy area.
2205 - G-3 to S-3: Any more dope on your two units near Colleville? The General says that place must be cleaned out tonight. The 18th has two battalions in front of you. A: No, no more dope on them.
2242 - Danger 4 to S-3: Do you know where the temporary vehicle are is? A: Yes. it is at E-1. Capt. Fish has been out there. G-4: I'm setting up a temporary ammunition dump there. The ammunition will be rationed. Do you knew anything about the 116th? A: Yes. They are getting along OK. They are southwest of St. Laurent.
2255 - Capt. Toby, 7th FA to S-2: I had a report from a Medic that people in St.Laurent had 29 jerries billeted with them. They left tonite and were to meet in Louvieres.
2257 - S-2 ro Danger 2: Col. Evans, we had a report from the 7th FA, who talked to some civilians who said that 29 Officers who had been billeted at St. Laurent. They were gone tonight and the officers were to meet at Louvieres.
2300 - Major Tegtmeyer to Col. Evans, we ahd a report from the 7th FA, who talked to some civilians who said that 29 Officers who had been billetd at St. Laurent. They were gone tonight and the officers were to meet at Louvieres.
2300 - Major Tegtmeyer to Col. Ficchy: We are not able to evacuate any of our people. There are no evecuation facilities at the beach and something must be done. A: We will try and see thaht this is taken can of at a once.
2310 - CO 2nd Bn to S-2: Can you give me any dope? A: Yes. Two battalions of the 18th are on that hill by you. CO: OK. Pepole are infiltring. We are digging in and need reorganistaion. Tell the Colonel.
2130 - Air raid on ships, beach , and short distance inland.
Lipton
Vérification anti-robot : JE NE SUIS PAS UN ROBOT

Message non lu par Lipton »

Merci pour l'info.
Par contre, je pense qu'il y en a certains qui vont regretter que ce soit en anglais......
T'aurais quand même pu le traduire pour ceux qui ne parlent pas anglais Image
Je plaisante....
A+.
Mike Ranney à son petit-fils:

-"Grand-père, as tu été un héros pendant la guerre?"
-"Non mais j'ai servi dans une compagnie de héros".
Invité

Message non lu par Invité »

Merci quand meme ... Image
Invité

Bravo, bien que ce soit en anglais c'est quand meem interressant, merci
Cpt Winters

Message non lu par Cpt Winters »

La compagnie I a débarqué dans quel secteur et vers quelle ville?
Pierre-Antoine

Message non lu par Pierre-Antoine »

Oh merci beaucoup Image !!! je vais en apprendre un peu plus sur le régiment de mon grand oncle. Encore merci Image
Blue Spader

Message non lu par Blue Spader »

La I Co, embarque sur des LCA et doit débarquer sur Easy Red mais lors de son approche des plages, les péniches prennent une mauvaise direction (vers Port en Bessin sic !)
La méprise est prise en compte, mais en faisant demi-tour en direction de Fox Green, elle perd les péniches des 4th&5th Assault boat Team. Il ne reste plus que 4 Assault boat Team.
A 8h00, la I Co (ou ce qu?il en reste arrive) devant Fox Green (entre la limite de Fox Green et Fox Red et le WN 61), 40 minutes derrière la M Co il est alors 8h00

Le LCA du Commandant de Compagnie, heurte une mine à 400m de la plage, les survivants se débattent dans l?eau et rejoignent tant bien que mal la plage. Dans le même temps celle de la 1st Assault Boat team se plante dans un obstacle, et reussit après quelques minutes à s?en extraire. Les 2d& 3rd Assault Boat Team sont sévèrement endommagés par l?artillerie et les mines. Arrivé à terre le Commandant le Capt Richmond et 3 de ses lieutenants rassemblent ceux de la I Co qui ont survécu plus des éléments des L, K et M et commence à riposter. A 16h00 au Gd Hameau il aura avec lui 104 hommes de diverses compagnies du 3rd Bn.

La I Co perdra pour le 6 juin officiellement au soir du 6 les pertes sont de 100 hommes (mais aucun officier) dont 26 tués sur les 8 officiers et 229 hommes du départ. Toutefois nombreux de ceux qui sont MIA seront retrouvés morts.

Cdt

Spader
Cpt Winters

Message non lu par Cpt Winters »

merci Blue Spader
Invité

Est il possible de trouver un site ou on trouve les soldats ayant composé ce régiment, comme pour les PIR sur aibrorne.com ou un site de ce genre (je ne connais plus vraiment ladresse..)
La France

Message non lu par La France »

Super.Rendons hommage à la Big Red One qui est la meilleur armée du monde.
Répondre

Retourner vers « Omaha Beach »