Battle of Normandy Memorial Museum
D-Day and Battle of Normandy museum
The Memorial Museum of the Battle of Normandy traces all the fights that took place in Basse-Normandie from June 7 to August 29, 1944. It is located near the British military cemetery of Bayeux and offers a large collection of uniforms , Equipment and vehicles used by the Allies and Germans during the Battle of Normandy.
The museum was founded in the late 1970s. On January 5, 1978, US President Jimmy Carter was welcomed in Bayeux by French President Valéry Giscard d’Estaing and inaugurated a temporary exhibition depicting the different stages of the Battle of Normandy. On July 14, 1981, this temporary exhibition became a museum in an area of 1,000 m2. Infrastructure and materials on display continued to increase over time: in 1986, the exhibition area increased to 2,000 m², while in 1994, on the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary of the Normandy landing, the museum opened a new extension of 300 m2. The current museographic scenography is set up in 2006.
For individual vehicles and coaches: free parking nearby.