The cities of Normandy during the 1944 battles
Liberation: June 26, 1944
56th Infantry Brigade, 49th Infantry Division
146th Infantry Brigade, 49th Infantry Division
8th Armoured Brigade (Independent)
S.S.-Panzergrenadierregiment 25, 12. S.S. Panzer-Division Hitlerjugend
Panzeraufklärungs-Lehr-Abteilung 130, Panzer Lehr Division
Panzer-Lehr-Pionier-Bataillon 130, Panzer Lehr Division
On June 6, 1944, the Unterstrumführer Exner of the SS-Panzergrenadierregiment 25 1st Battalion belonging to the SS Panzer-Division Hitlerjugend, reconnoiteres Juvigny-sur-Seulles and Tilly-sur-Seulles with his platoon, Installs in the area for the night. On 8 June the Panzer-Lehr-Pionier-Battalion 130 and elements of the Panzer Lehr-Abteilung 130 of the Panzer Lehr Division reinforced the position, repulsing the opposing patrols.
On June 10th, the 1st Battalion of the Panzer Lehr Regiment 901 attacked Tilly in the direction of Saint-Pierre and succeeded in seizing the village, repelling the English from the 8th Battalion Durham and Nottinghamshire (Sherwood Rangers) Yeomanry.
On June 11, the British sought to break through the front line by launching a new offensive in the direction of Juigny-sur-Seulles starting at 5.30 pm: the 56th brigade of the 49th Infantry Division encountered strong German defenses, Access to the village.
From 19 to 26 June, the Tilly-Juvigny sector was liberated and lost 23 times by the British. When the front stabilizes and the British are definitely masters of the place, carcasses of tanks haunt the ruins of houses completely destroyed.
As of June 27, 1944, Juvigny-sur-Seulles served as a starting point for the 146th brigade of the 49th Infantry Division to carry out new operations to the south.