Mont Coquerel battery – Wn 136
German batteries of the Atlantic Wall in Normandy
Unit: 4th Battalion of the 1261th Marine Artillery Regiment (4./HKAA1261)
Codename: Wn 136 – Wn 22
Artillery guns: 4x 105 mm K331 (f)
Outcome: Under American control on June 14th, 1944
The Mount Coquerel battery is built as of the year 1943 west of Quinéville, near the hamlet of Mount Coquerel. It is oriented towards Saint-Vaast-La-Hougue.
It consists of four casemates of type Regelbau H671, camouflaged in dwelling houses. These constructions are covered with earth to increase their resistance to fire and bombs while reducing their visibility.
The main arming of the battery is based on four barrels of 105 mm K331 of French origin, manufactured by the firm Schneider and dating from 1916. Several other constructions supplement the device of this site at the edge of the coast, including a Command H608 equipped with an artillery observation bell, H612 and H667.
The Allies estimate, according to their information, that the battery has only 75 mm guns and that it is not in a position to seriously threaten operations in the Cotentin.
On the day of disembarkation, the battery of the Mount Coquerel is taken under the fire of the USS Tuscaloosa which nevertheless does not succeed in dislodging its occupants. The latter opened fire on British boats simulating a landing in front of Saint-Vaast-La-Hougue until June 8, 1944. The German artillerymen of the 4./HKAA under the orders of the Oberleutnant (lieutenant) Schultz defend their position until the rupture of contact ordered on June 9th. On the evening of June 14th, the soldiers of the 1st Battalion of the 22nd Regiment of the 4th Infantry Division of America took possession of the site. Casemates on the beaches are taken by the 3rd Battalion of the 39th Regiment of the 9th Infantry Division.