German strongpoints in Normandy: Wn 8
The Wn 8 is located in Riva-Bella, just to the west of the estuary of the Orne river of which it defends the approaches. It is also known as the battery of Riva-Bella: Stützpunkt 08 (Stp 08).
The Wn 8 consists of an imposing 17-meter high observation and firing station for the 1st battery of the 1260th German Coastal Artillery Regiment. This fire control station has five floors (including an underground), a powerful telemeter, several watch-rooms, transmissions, ammunition and troops.
Several houses were destroyed in order to install gun pits that received 155 mm guns of French origin (155 mm GPF m 1917) with a range of 19 kilometers (these artillery guns were identical to those of the Pointe du Hoc).
The battery also consists of several other constructions, including shelters, ammunition bunkers and a location for a 20 mm anti-aircraft gun.
- 1x Observation and Fire Control station
- 4x 155 mm GPF mle 1917