ALG A-12 – Lignerolles
Battle of Normandy
This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) A-12, used by the 9th United States Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.
9th United States Air Force
Location: Lignerolles, Calvados (14)
Coordinates: 49°10’37”N – 000°47’26”W
Construction: from July 6 to 18, 1944 by the 820th Engineer Aviation Battalion (EAB)
Operational period: from July 18 to November 4, 1944
Length: 1 524 m (5 000 feet)
Width: 36,57 m (120 feet)
Airstrip: Square-Mesh Track (SMT) & Prefabricated Bituminous Surfacing (PBS)
– 362nd Fighter Group (377th Fighter Squadron, 378th Fighter Squadron, 379th Fighter Squadron) using P-47 Thunderbolt.
– 365th Fighter Group (386th Fighter Squadron, 387th Fighter Squadron, 388th Fighter Squadron) using P-47 Thunderbolt.
ALG A-12 history:
ALG A-12 is built northeast of Bois de Baugy, while the area is still subject to enemy artillery fire. The track is covered with PBS (Prefabricated Bituminous Surfacing), also known as “Hessian Mat”, a coating that limits the effects of mud and dust.
– Commemorative stele north of the place called Le Chuquet.