ALG A-17 - Méautis - Airfields in Normandy

ALG A-17 – Méautis – Airfields in Normandy

ALG A-17 – Méautis

Battle of Normandy

This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) A-17, used by the 9th United States Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.

Image : 9th Air Force

9th United States Air Force

Location: Méautis, Manche (50)

Code: A-17

Coordinates: 49°17’10”N – 01°18’15”W

Construction: from 24 July to 17 August 1944 by the 840th Engineer Aviation Battalion (EAB)

Operational period: from August 17 to September 15, 1944

Airstrip: PBS (Prefabricated Bituminous Surfacing) extended by Square-Mesh Track (SMT)

PBS airstrip:

Length: 1 097,28 m (3 600 feet)

Width: 36,57 m (120 feet)

Azimuth: 103°

SMT airstrip:

Length: 426,72 m (1 400 feet)

Width: 36,57 m (120 feet)

Azimuth: 103°

Units:

– 50th Fighter Group (10th Fighter Squadron, 81st Fighter Squadron, 313rd Figther Squadron) using P-47 Thunderbolt.

ALG A-17 history:

Sappers build a 3,600-foot long PBS runway (Prefabricated Bituminous Surfacing). PBS, also known as “Hessian Mat”, is a solid coating consisting of layers of bitumen and Hessian fabric which is particularly meticulous and requires the use of special machines. It avoids the negative effects of mud and dust.

A total of 426.72 meters (1400 feet) of SMT is added to provide a 1,524-meter (5,000-foot) total runway for heavily loaded ammunition and explosive devices.

Remains:

– Commemorative stele along the departmental road 443 north of Méautis, at a place called La Lande Godard.