ALG A-5 – Cartigny-l’Epinay – “Chippelle”
Battle of Normandy
This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) A-5, used by the 9th United States Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.
9th United States Air Force
Localisation: Cartigny-l’Epinay, Calvados (14)
Coordinates: 49°14’31”N – 000°58’15”W
Construction: from June 16 to July 5, 1944 by the 820th Engineer Aviation Battalion (EAB)
Operational period: from June 16 to September 5, 1944
Length: 1 524 m (5 000 feet)
Width: 36,57 m (120 feet)
Airstrip: Square-Mesh Track (SMT)
– 404th Fighter Group (506th Fighter Squadron, 507th Fighter Squadron, 508th Fighter Squadron) using P-47 Thunderbolt.
ALG A-5 history:
The ALG A-5 has a singularity concerning its name. Known most often as “Chippelle”, this aerodrome is located north-east of Cartigny-l’Epinay, near the place called “Le Lieu Chipel”. Like the name Pointe du Hoc, renamed “Pointe du Hoe” by the Americans because of a typo, the Allies only retain the name of Chipel they turn into “Chippelle” thereafter. An appellation that has remained in the history.
This aerodrome serves as a base for the 404th Fighter Group.
– Memorial stele in the church of Saint-Martin-de-Blagny.
– Memorial stele along the road linking Cartigny-l’Epinay to Livet’s farm.