The cities of Normandy during the 1944 battles
Liberation: June 11th, 1944
29th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division
635th Tank Destroyer Battalion, 1st Infantry Division
745th Tank Battalion, 1st Infantry Division
Grenadier-Regiment 915, 352. Infanterie-Division
On the evening of June 8, 1944, shortly after dark, the 26th Infantry Regiment (1st Infantry Division) captured Tour-en-Bessin and Sainte-Anne. Colonel John F. R. Seitz, commander of the 26th IR, ordered his 3rd Battalion (commanded by Lieutenant Colonel John T. Corley) to continue towards the village of Agy. This town is located on a slight movement of land that dominates the region southwest of Bayeux, including the axis Bayeux–Saint-Lô.
In front of the Americans, the Germans Grenadier-Regiment 915 (352. Infantry-Division) do not manage to oppose a frank resistance, not having enough support to fight effectively. At nightfall, they retreat to the south (in accordance with the orders of the Generalleutnant Dietrich Kraiss) and line up on a new line of defense, linking in particular the communes of Agy and Blay.
The 3rd battalion of the 26th IR, more slowed by the Normandy countryside than by the German defenders, reached the village of Agy in the middle of the evening. The town is under control in the morning of the 11th June after the assault of the 2nd battalion of the 26th IR, with the defenders retreating to the south. The Americans then moves towards Dodigny, near Noron-la-Poterie.
Map of Agy: