German strongpoints in Normandy: Stp 12 / Wn 103
The Stp (Stürtzpunkt, fulcrum) 12, also coded Wn 103 by the Germans, is situated at the place called Châlet de Ravenoville. Located on the waterfront, this site is defended along the dunes by an anti-tank wall. The main armament of the Stp 12 consists of a 8,8 cm gun under casemate H612 with a headlight on the roof and a 5 cm gun under casemate derived from the Regelbau H667 type, the orientation of which makes it possible to flank the northern and southern part of the beach.
In addition to these two artillery guns, the site also has four tank turrets, each equipped with a 37 mm gun on tobrouk concrete shelter for close protection. An H644 type shelter is surmounted by an armored protection (type 36 P 8) armed with two machine guns. The Stp 12 is protected at the rear of its device by the marshes, a minefield as well as by an anti-tank ditch.
The position was taken by 7 June 1944 by the 22nd Infantry Regiment (4th Infantry Division). Although 82 German soldiers surrender on the same day, the position resisted until 8 June 1944.
Composition of the Wn 103 / Stp 12 strongpoint:
- 1x 8,8 cm Pak 43/41 gun
- 1x 5 cm KWK L/42 gun
- Several machine guns positions
Photo of the Wn 103 / Stp 12 strongpoint:
8,8 cm gun under H612 casemate at Stp 12 (Wn 102), Châlet of Ravenoville.
Photo: US National Archives