17 SS Artillery regiment Gotz Von Berlichingen

Vous souhaitez aborder un sujet général concernant la stratégie d'un camp ou de l'autre, ou poser une question particulière en rapport avec la bataille de Normandie ? Cette rubrique est faite pour vous !
Lelez

Message non lu par Lelez »

Hi all!
Can anybody tell me where did this regiment Fight in Normandy precisely,where can i find infos about it and if they partecipated in the Attack of Carentan?
Merci

Daniele
Invité

Message non lu par Invité »

The june 13th attack against Carentan was carried out by the 1st battalion Regiment 37 of the Goetz von Berlichingen. They were supported by few 88s from the flak 's 14th Compagnie of regiment 37 and some self propelled guns of the same regiment 37.
Lelez

Thank you for the infos.
Where can i find infos about where the 17 SS Artillery regiment fought?
Cheers

Daniele
Invité

Message non lu par Invité »

This is the general outline of the Normandy campaign for the division...
I would assume that the artillery was somewhere backing 'em up...

10 June, 1944: Division arrives in Normandy,

11/12 June, 1944: Into action at Carentan, defending the crossroads between Saint Lo and Coutances.

12 June, 1944: Carentan falls to the US 101st Airborne Division as the 17. SS moves into defensive positions to the South.

13 June, 1944: Division unsuccessfully counterattacks at Coutances.

16 June, 1944: SS-Brigadeführer Ostendorff wounded and relieved; SS-Oberführer Eduard Diesenhoffer appointed new Division commanding officer.

June, 1944: Defense of Saint Lo sector .

6 August, 1944: Remnants of the Division temporarily assigned to 2.SS-Panzer Division "Das Reich", kampfgruppe formed and attached to XLVII PanzerKorps, 7.Army.

6/7 August, 1944: 2. SS concentrated near Mortain, advancing on the South side of the See River against the US 30th Infantry Division.

7 August, 1944: Counterattack at Mortain, Operation LUTTICH, against the US Third Army, fails.

28 August, 1944 Remnants of the 17. SS withdrawn from line combat to Chartres for rest and refit.

Jean Mabire's "The SS with the Iron fist" is a somewhat fictitious overview of the Normandy campaign with plenty of reference materials... worth checking it out though.
Lelez

Thank you very much!
I will surely check that book but if in case somebody here finds something about what the regimentdid in normandy im here ;)
Répondre

Retourner vers « Discussion générale sur la bataille de Normandie »