R.I.P. Colonel Edwin M. Sayre December 19, 1915, October 23, 2014.

Dans cette rubrique, vous pourrez vous lancer à la recherche d'adresses de vétérans du Jour J et de la Bataille de Normandie, partager vos connaissances, vos relations avec nos héros de la Seconde Guerre Mondiale.
PhotWar
Vérification anti-robot : JE NE SUIS PAS UN ROBOT

Message non lu par PhotWar »

Colonel Edwin M. Sayre (Ret.), 98 died Thursday, October 23, 2014 at his residence. Funeral service with Charles Kuhn officiating will be held on Saturday, November 1, 2014 at 10:30 A.M. at the First Presbyterian Church. Interment will follow in the Breckenridge Cemetery. Arrangements are under the direction of Melton-Kitchens Funeral Home.

Ed was born on December 19, 1915 to Arthur Neul Sayre and Edna Yarbro Sayre on an Indian reservation in New Mexico near the Hila River. His early years were spent living on his family’s horse ranch near Silver City, New Mexico the family moved to Breckenridge after hearing of the oil strike.

In 1940 Ed joined the Breckenridge National Guard Company L 36th Division that was activated at the start of WWII. In April 1940 Ed passed the Army Officers test and became a Second Lt., and after hearing paratroopers made an extra $100.00 a month, he volunteered for parachute training. Upon completing parachute training he was promoted to Capt. of “A Company”.

He met and married Betty Mavrico in Germany in 1946. Ed retired from the Army in 1968 with over 30 years of service as a full Colonel. His wife Betty also retired from the Army as a Lieutenant Colonel.

Ed was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, The Legion of Merit/ 2 Oak Leaf Clusters, Bronze Star/3 Oak Leaf Clusters, Combat Infantry Badge for WWII and Korea, Masters Parachutists Wings with over 300 jumps, of these he has two Silver Stars for combat jumps, Ed also has 3 Purple Hearts.

After his Military retirement he returned to Breckenridge. Ed served as Chamber of Commerce Director, YMCA, Breckenridge Rotary Club, West Texas Council of Governments, Texas Farm Bureau, Breckenridge Housing Authority Board, and the Stephens Memorial Hospital board. Mr. Sayre was vice-president of Citizens National Bank for 6 years. Ed was an Elder of the First Presbyterian Church where he served as treasurer and Sunday School Teacher.

He is survived by eight nephews, Bob Dye of Baird, Tom Dye and Edwin Dye both of Abilene, Arthur Sayre Jr. of Corinth, John Sayre of Breckenridge, Larry Sayre of Grapevine, Frank Sayre of Hawley, and Jim Sayre of Dallas; a niece, Sharon Sayre Riley of Abilene; sisters-in-law, Mary Sayre of Breckenridge and Mildred Sayre of Abilene; and numerous great and great-great-nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, wife, Betty, brothers, Neull Sayre and Kelly Sayre; and a sister, Edna Sayre Dye. Memorials donations may be made to the Breckenridge Library, Stephens County Humane Society, or the Wounded Warrior Project.

We offer our many thanks to Ed for his great contributions to our country, our city, our church, and our family.

Service:
Saturday, November 1, 2014
10:30 A.M.
First Presbyterian Church
Charles Kuhn, officiating

Cemetery:
Breckenridge Cemetery

Colonel Ed Sayre as a young Captain from the original group of 505 PIR officers photo of the original officers back in 1942.

Photo 2010

Photo augustus 2014

http://www.meltonkitchens.com/?siteid=9 ... yid=163789
PhotWar

Re: R.I.P. Colonel Edwin M. Sayre December 19, 1915, October 23, 2014.

Merci Gennaker

j'avais pas vu

l'information je l'ai recu hier d'un ami americain qui esr aussi le conservateur du musée Viêtnam au Texas une des photo est d'ailleurs de lui faite au mois d'août dernier, Ed et lui était ami

bon dimanche
PhotWar

Re: R.I.P. Colonel Edwin M. Sayre December 19, 1915, October 23, 2014.

Colonel Edwin Sayre Funeral

I drove to Breckenridge, Texas to attend a good man's funeral. Every car on the road from the funeral home to the cemetery pulled over and stopped on the side of the road and respectfully paid homage to this great man's last ride home. His is buried on the stark west Texas prairie next to his wife Colonel Betty Sayre.

Répondre

Retourner vers « Les vétérans du Débarquement et de la Bataille de Normandie »