D-Day and Battle of Normandy Encyclopedia
English version Spanish version

Hameau Germain in 1944 – Manche – Battle of Normandy

Hameau Germain (Manche)

The cities of Normandy during the 1944 battles

Liberation: June 6, 1944

Deployment unis:

Drapeau américain 3/8th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division

Drapeau nazi II/Artillerie-Regiment 191, 91. Infanterie Division

History:

In the spring of 1944, the hamlet of the Germain hamlet is home to some dwellings and a farm. It is defended by a battery of 88 mm guns.

On June 6, 1944, at the end of the morning, the Germans installed in these houses began to retreat and gather all their equipment and the elements of their battery on trailers traced by horses. They heard shots and explosions at the Brécourt battery, located only 300 meters to the northwest.

When they leave the farm to join the departmental road 913 which allows to reach Sainte-Marie-du-Mont, they are detected by the infantrymen of company I commanded by Captain Frederick C. Maisel, Jr (3rd battalion of 8th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division) that landed on Utah Beach and progressed to the southwest. Maisel plans to mount an ambush and orders his section chiefs to deploy in the field to the north of the farmhouse: camouflaged by the presence of an imposing hedge, they progress in discretion and protected from the sights. On order, they open fire on the first elements who have no chance: surprised, the Germans try to flee but the horses are unable to accelerate due to the weight of the trailers.

50 German soldiers and three 88 mm guns are captured by Captain Maisel’s men. The Hameau Germain is immediately secured.

 

Hameau Germain maps:

Image : carte de la commune de Hameau Germain

News from Normandy

Wall of Remembrance

Wall of Remembrance

The Wall of Remembrance is a tribute to the veterans of the Battle of Normandy who have passed away

Media library

Media library

D-Day and Battle of Normandy media library: archives photos and videos

Follow D-Day Overlord on Facebook