ALG A-11 – Saint-Lambert
Battle of Normandy
This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) A-11, used by the 9th United States Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.
9th United States Air Force
Location: Saint-Lambert, Calvados (14)
Coordinates: 49°17’05”N – 01°05’53”W
Construction: from July 27 to August 6, 1944 by the 832nd Engineer Aviation Battalion (EAB)
Operational period: from August 6 to September 5, 1944
Length: 1 524 m (5 000 feet)
Width: 36,57 m (120 feet)
Airstrip: Prefabricated Bituminous Surfacing (PBS)
– 474th Fighter Group (428th Fighter Squadron, 429th Fighter Squadron, 430th squadron) using P-38 Lightning.
ALG A-11 history:
The airstrip of ALG A-11, located between Isigny-sur-Mer and Neuilly-la-Forêt, benefits from a PBS (Prefabricated Bituminous Surfacing) coating, also known as “Hessian Mat”. It is a solid coating composed of layers of bitumen and Hessian fabric, the installation of which is particularly thorough and requires the use of special machines.
– Commemorative stele along the departmental road 197, one kilometer north of Neuilly-la-Forêt.