ALG A-3 – Cardonville
Battle of Normandy
This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) A-3, used by the 9th United States Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.
9th United States Air Force
Localisation: Cardonville, Calvados (14)
Coordinates: 49°21’04”N – 01°03’19”W
Construction: from June 10 to 14, 1944 by the 816th Engineer Aviation Battalion (EAB)
Operational Period: from June 14 to September 1, 1944
Length: 1 524 m (5 000 feet)
Width: 36,57 m (120 feet)
Airstrip: Square-Mesh Track (SMT) & Pierced Plate (PSP)
– 368th Fighter Group (395th Fighter Squadron, 396th Fighter Squadron, 397th Fighter Squadron) using P-47 Thunderbolt.
– 370th Fighter Group (402nd squadron) using P-38 Lightning.
ALG A-3 history:
The ALG A-3 runway was only completed in the evening of June 20, 1944, when the entire SMT liner was installed. But from June 14, 368th Fighter Group P-47 fighters landed there and began their missions.
– Commemorative stele east of Le Lieu Belliard, at the junction with the D 199 road.