ALG A-8 N – Picauville
Battle of Normandy
This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) A-8 N, used by the 9th United States Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.
9th United States Air Force
Localisation: Picauville, Manche (50)
Code: A-8 N (“Night”: airstrip equipped for night operations)
Coordinates: 49°22’40”N – 01°24’29”W
Construction: from June 20 to 26, 1944 by the 826th Engineer Aviation Battalion (EAB)
Operational period: from June 26 to November 5, 1944
Length: 1 524 m (5 000 feet)
Width: 36,57 m (120 feet)
Airstrip: Square-Mesh Track (SMT) & Prefabricated Bituminous Surfacing (PBS)
– 405th Fighter Group (509th Fighter Squadron, 510th Fighter Squadron, 511th Fighter Squadron) using P-47 Thunderbolt.
– 142 Wing (264 Squadron, 604 Squadron) using Mosquito XIII.
ALG A-8 N history:
ALG A-8 is located west of Sainte-Mère-Eglise and north of Picauville. The track is PBS (Prefabricated Bituminous Surfacing), also known as “Hessian Mat”: it is a solid coating of layers of bitumen and Hessian fabric which is particularly meticulous and requires the use of special machines.
At the beginning of August 1944, work was done on the runway to equip it for night operations (installation of electric lamps, oil lamps, corner lights and landing lights). The ALG A-8 thus carries the new name A-8 N (N for Night). Mosquito XIII belonging to the 142 Wing, 85 Group of the Royal Air Force, land there on August 6 and 11 to conduct night operations in the area.
– Commemorative stele one kilometer north of Picauville at the edge of the departmental road 69.