ALG B-12 – Ellon
Battle of Normandy
This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) B-12, used by the Royal Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.
Location: Ellon, Calvados (14)
Coordinates: 49°12’58”N – 000°39’52”W
Construction: from June 30 to July 18, 1944 by the Royal Engineers 16th Airfield Construction Group
Operational period: from July 18, 1944
Length: 1 200 m
Width: 40 m
Airstrip: Square-Mesh Track (SMT)
– 122 Wing (19 squadron, 65 squadron, 122 squadron) using Mustang III.
ALG B-12 history:
ALG B-12 is the last of four airfields built by Lt. Col. Leslie Frank Hancock (Royal Engineers), killed on July 12, 1944 in Maupertus by the explosion of his Jeep on a mine.
This aerodrome is located east of Ellon and near the place called “Jerusalem”. The pilots of the 122 Wing based there prefer to call the aerodrome “Jerusalem” rather than Elon.
Memorial east of Ellon at the location of the ALG B-12 runway.