ALG B-5 – Le Fresne-Camilly
Battle of Normandy
This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) B-5, used by the Royal Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.
Location: Le Fresne-Camilly, Calvados (14)
Coordinates: 49°15’58”N – 000°29’07”W
Construction: from June 10 to June 13, 1944 by the Royal Engineers 23rd Airfield Construction Group
Operational period: from June 13 to September 4, 1944
Length: 1 700 m
Width: 40 m
Airstrip: Square-Mesh Track (SMT)
– 121 Wing (174 squadron, 175 squadron, 245 squadron) using Typhoon aircraft
– 123 Wing (609 squadron) using Typhoon aircraft
– 129 Wing (184 squadron, 198 squadron) using Typhoon aircraft
ALG B-5 history:
ALG B-5 is under fire from the German artillery since the first day of its construction until 19 July 1944, when the commune of Colombelles falls into the hands of the Allies. German artillery observers were stationed throughout this period in the ruins of the steelworks, offering a general view of the Caen region.
This aerodrome becomes the permanent base of the 121 Wing.
Commemorative steles north of Le Fresne-Camilly.