ALG B-7 – Martragny – Airfields in Normandy

ALG B-7 – Martragny

Battle of Normandy

This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) B-7, used by the Royal Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.

Image : second tactical air force

2nd Tactical Air Force

Location: Martragny, Calvados (14)

Code: B-7

Coordinates: 49°15’11”N – 000°36’58”W

Construction: from June 14 to 26, 1944 by the Royal Engineers 16th Airfield Construction Group

Operational period: from June 26 to September 3, 1944

Length: 1 200 m

Width: 40 m

Azimuth: 172°

Number of airstrips: 2

Airstrip 1: Square-Mesh Track (SMT)

Airstrip 2: compacted earth

Units:

Image : drapeau anglais - Union Jack  Image : drapeau belge

– 123 Wing (164 squadron, 183 squadron, 198 squadron, 609 squadron – Belgium) using Typhoon aircraft.

– 133 Wing (19 squadron, 65 squadron, 122 squadron) using Mustang III aircraft.

– 143 Wing (440 squadron) using Typhoon aircraft.

ALG B-7 history:

Originally, this sector was occupied in 1940 by naval air forces of the French Navy and then by the German Air Force. In June 1944, the English built two tracks (one compacted earth, the other covered with SMT) on the same ground but oriented at 172°.

ALG B-7 serves as the main base for the 133 Wing from June 24 to July 19, 1944 and then to the 123 Wing from July 19 to September 3, 1944. It serves as ammunition depot until the end of the war.

Remains:

– Two memorial steles southeast of Vaux-sur-Seulles.

– A commemorative stele in the municipality of Martragny.