The cities of Normandy during the 1944 battles
Liberation: June 6, 1944
The Regina Rifles Regiment, 7th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division
10th Armoured Regiment (Fort Garry Horse), 2nd Armored Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division
II/Grenadier-Regiment 736, 716. Infanterie-Division
The commune of Fontaine-Henry was occupied in 1944 by soldiers belonging to the second battalion of Grenadier-Regiment 736 (716. Infanterie-Division).
On June 6, 1944, the Fontaine-Henry area was one of the objectives of the Regina Rifles Regiment (7th Infantry Brigade). At 6 pm, Company B was ordered to seize the town with the support of a company of tanks, while Company C was to proceed in the direction of Le Fresne-Camilly. But at 1830 hours, a German 88 mm gun located at the height of fire on the Canadian armored vehicles: six are destroyed. Meanwhile, company B moved into Fontaine-Henry and reported at 7 pm that the locality was under control.
Canadians lose 11 killed soldiers (Andrew, Annis, Dicken, Fesgruk, Kennedy, Lismore, Mac Peters, Momluth, Newton, Pease and Wicgle) for the village’s liberation.
Photo of Fontaine-Henry in 1944:
July 2, 1944: Canadian soldiers H. H. deVries and Mr. A. Sallows inspected an abandoned 122 mm German howitzer in the Fontaine-Henry area. Photo: IWM.