North Witham was designed as a bomber airfield as part of the RAF's rapid expansion during World War II in the Air Ministry No. 7 Group area. Construction commenced late in 1942 with J. Mowlem & Co Ltd as main contractors. The acerage used for the airfield proper necessitated the closing of a minor road to Swayfield village. The runways were the optimum 6,000 ft main and 4,200ft secondaries, aligned 02-20, 06-24 and 12-30 respectively. The 50 hardstands were all loop type and the hangars the usual two T-2s.
It opened officially on 15 December 1943, the first RAF personnel having arrived the day before.
The first American personnel arrived on 31 December 1943, having been accommodated at the nearby RAF Cottesmore. Domestic accommodations had Nissen huts for 2,324 persons but in addition to this several hundred Gls had to be accommodated in tents.
In March 1944, the Command Pathfinder School of the U.S. IX Troop Carrier Command, moved in from a nucleus formed at from RAF Cottesmore to train air crews and pathfinder paratroopers.
Il s'agit bien de l'un des parachutage de Bastogne, vu du cimetière, qui à servis de point de repére à l'équipe des pathfinders de jake McNiece.
A toi la main
- Sujets similaires
- Dernier message
Utilisateurs parcourant ce forum : Aucun utilisateur enregistré et 3 invités