ALG A-7 – Azeville
Battle of Normandy
This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) A-7, used by the 9th United States Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.
9th United States Air Force
Localisation: Azeville, Manche (14)
Coordinates: 49°28’49”N – 01°18’12”W
Construction: from June 16 to July 2, 1944 by the 819th Engineer Aviation Battalion (EAB)
Operational period: from July 2 to September 15, 1944
Length: 1 097 m (3 600 feet)
Width: 36,57 m (120 feet)
Airstrip: Square-Mesh Track (SMT)
– 363rd Fighter Group/Tactical Reconnaissance (TR) Group (380th Fighter Squadron, 381st Fighter Squadron, 382nd Fighter Squadron) using P-51 Mustang.
– 365th Fighter Group (386th Fighter Squadron, 387th Fighter Squadron, 388th Fighter Squadron) using P-47 Thunderbolt.
ALG A-7 history:
ALG A-7 is called Azeville although it straddles the towns of Fontenay-sur-Mer in the north and Azville in the south. The installation work is slowed down considerably by the opening at the same time of the ALG A-14 shipyard, also provided by the 819th EAB, and it is only on July 2, 1944 that the runway is declared as fully operational. The ALG A-7 receives the 365th Fighter Group then the 363rd Fighter Group (FG) as of August 22, 1944. On August 25, the 363rd FG is transformed into a 363rd Tactical Reconnaissance (TR) Group: its squadrons equipped with Mustang F-6 change their name only as of September 15, 1944 (respectively 160th TR Squadron, 161st TR Squadron and 162nd TR Squadron).
– Commemorative stele along the departmental road 14 between Saint-Marcouf and Fontenay-sur-Mer at the place called Les Becquets.