ALG A-9 D – Le Molay
Battle of Normandy
This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) A-9 D, used by the 9th United States Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.
9th United States Air Force
Localisation: Le Molay, Calvados (14)
Code: A-9 D (Depot)
Coordinates: 49°15’14”N – 000°52’08”W
Construction: from June 20 to 30, 1944 by the 834th Engineer Aviation Battalion (EAB)
Operational period: from June 30 to October 5, 1944
Length: 1 219 m (4 000 feet)
Width: 36,57 m (120 feet)
Airstrip: Square-Mesh Track (SMT)
– 67th Tactical Reconnaissance Group (30th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron & 33rd Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron using F-5 Lightning, 109th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron using F-6 Mustang)
ALG A-9 D history:
During the development of Operation Overlord, the Allies plan to create ALG A-9 to become an airfield dedicated to transport operations (coded “Cargo”) insofar as it is built on the border between the American and the British front.
But with the evolution of the fighting, supply needs are very pressing: the ALG A-9 is mainly used as a center of exploitation of aerial photographs (with the 17th Signal Operation Battalion) and as a depot for maintenance equipment at benefit of Allied aviation (with the 16th Air Depot Group belonging to the 2nd Advanced Air Depot Area). Instead of carrying the letter “C” of Cargo as expected, the airfield then bears the letter “D” for “Depot”. However, it retains a mission of transport authorities due to its proximity to Montgomery’s headquarters, located east of Blay.
Huge prefabricated Butler-type hangars and semi-Romney-type hangars were set up in the technical area of the aerodrome for the storage of the means of supply and the accommodation of the personnel.
– Commemorative stele along the provincial road 5 between Le Molay-Littry and the place called La Poterie.