ALG B-3 - Sainte-Croix-sur-Mer - Airfields in Normandy

ALG B-3 – Sainte-Croix-sur-Mer – Airfields in Normandy

ALG B-3 – Sainte-Croix-sur-Mer

Battle of Normandy

This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) B-3, used by the Royal Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.

Image : second tactical air force

2nd Tactical Air Force

Location: Sainte-Croix-sur-Mer, Calvados (14)

Code: B-3

Coordinates: 49°18’17”N – 000°33’43”W

Construction: from June 7, 1944 by Royal Engineers 24th Airfield Construction Group

Operational period: from June 10, 1944 to September 9, 1944

Length: 1 650 m

Width: 40 m

Azimuth: 230°

Number of airstrips: 2

Main airstrip: Square-Mesh Track (SMT)

Secondary airstrip:  compacted earth

Units:

Image : drapeau anglais - Union Jack  Image : drapeau Canada 1944  Image : drapeau Nouvelle-Zélande  Image : drapeau Rhodésie

– 121 Wing (175 squadron) using Typhoon Ib

– 135 Wing (485 squadron – New Zealand) using Spitfire

– 144 Wing (441 squadron, 442 squadron, 443 squadron – Canada) using Spitfire

– 146 Wing (193 squadron, 197 squadron, 257 squadron, 263 squadron, 266 squadron – Rhodesia) using Spitfire

ALG B-3 history:

First, the English build a dirt airstrip to allow pilots to land in case of emergency. In parallel, they build a second airstrip, longer, covered with SMT. It is one of the first operational RAF airfields in Normandy.

Remains:

Commemorative stele on the ALG B-03 site between Sainte-Croix-sur-Mer and Ver-sur-Mer.