ALG B-4 – Bény-sur-Mer
Battle of Normandy
This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) B-4, used by the Royal Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.
Location: Bény-sur-Mer, Calvados (14)
Coordinates: 49°17’54”N – 000°25’49”W
Construction: from June 10, 1944 by the Royal Engineers 25th Airfield Construction Group
Operational period: from June 13 to September 4, 1944
Length: 1 200 m
Width: 40 m
Airstrip: Square-Mesh Track (SMT)
– 126 Wing (401 squadron, 411 squadron & 412 squadron – Canada) using Spitfire IXb aircraft
– 144 Wing (441 squadron – Canada) using Spitfire IXb aircraft
ALG B-4 history:
The initial airstrip is made from compacted earth and the SMT coating is put in place later. On August 8, 1944, ALG B-4 became the main base of the 126 Wing of the Royal Canadian Air Force.
Spitfire fighters belonging to No. 412 Squadron on the Royal Canadian Air Force airfield coded ALG B-4 of Bény-sur-Mer. Photo: IWM.
Commemorative stele north-east of Bény-sur-Mer along the departmental 404.