ALG B-9 - Lantheuil - Airfields in Normandy

ALG B-9 – Lantheuil – Airfields in Normandy

ALG B-9 – Lantheuil

Battle of Normandy

This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) B-9, used by the Royal Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.

Image : second tactical air force

2nd Tactical Air Force

Location: Lantheuil, Calvados (14)

Code: B-9

Coordinates: 49°16’22”N – 000°31’41”W

Construction: from June 10 to June 21, 1944 by the Royal Engineers 13th Airfield Construction Group, 653rd Road Construction Company

Operational period: from June 21 to August 31, 1944

Length: 1 200 m

Width: 40 m

Azimuth: 247°

Airstrip: Square-Mesh Track (SMT)

Units:

Image : drapeau Canada 1944

– 143 Wing RCAF (438 squadron, 439 squadron, 440 squadron) – Canada – using Typhoon aircraft.

ALG B-9 history:

ALG B-9 is located south of Creully and west of Lantheuil.

ALG B-9 serves as the base for the 143 Wing of the Royal Canadian Air Force as of June 21, 1944, with about sixty Typhoons.

Remains:

Memorial stele at the Petit Magny manor.