The cities of Normandy during the 1944 battles
Liberation: June 19, 1944
56th Infantry Brigade, 49th Infantry Division
8th Armoured Brigade (Independent)
S.S.-Panzergrenadierregiment 25, 12. S.S. Panzer-Division Hitlerjugend
Panzeraufklärungs-Lehr-Abteilung 130, Panzer Lehr Division
Panzer-Lehr-Pionier-Bataillon 130, Panzer Lehr Division
On June 6, 1944, the Unterstrumführer Exner of the SS-Panzergrenadierregiment 25, 1st Battalion belonging to the SS Panzer-Division Hitlerjugend, reconnoiteres Tilly-sur-Seulles with his platoon and settles in the area for the night. On 8 June the Panzer-Lehr-Pionier-Battalion 130 and elements of the Panzer Lehr-Abteilung 130 of the Panzer Lehr Division reinforced the position, pushing back the opposing patrols.
On 7 June, Tilly-sur-Seulles was prey to an air bombardment issued by 18 British planes. The most important damage is recorded rue d’Enfer and rue de Balleroy. This attack made its first civilian victims in the village. The front, however, stabilized for three days.
On June 10th, the 1st Battalion of the Panzer Lehr Regiment 901 attacked Tilly in the direction of Saint-Pierre and succeeded in seizing the village, repelling the English from the 8th Battalion Durham and Nottinghamshire (Sherwood Rangers) Yeomanry .
On June 11, the British sought to break through the front by launching a new offensive in the vicinity of Tilly-sur-Seulles starting at 5.30 pm: the 56th brigade of the 49th Infantry Division encountered the strong defenses of German at the access points of the village.
From June 19 to 26, Tilly was conquered and lost 23 times by the English. When the front stabilizes and the British are definitely masters of the village, it is completely destroyed and the wrecks of tanks haunt the ruins.
Today, 986 British soldiers, 232 Germans, 2 New Zealanders, 1 Canadian and 1 Australian lie in the Tilly-sur-Seulles military cemetery.