ALG B-6 – Coulombs
Battle of Normandy
This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) B-6, used by the Royal Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.
Location: Coulombs, Calvados (14)
Coordinates: 49°14’41”N – 000°33’07”W
Construction: from June 9 to June 16, 1944 by the Royal Engineers 13th Airfield Construction Group
Operational period: from June 16, 1944 to April 21, 1945
Length: 1 700 m
Width: 40 m
Airstrips: Square-Mesh Track (SMT)
– 124 Wing (137 squadron, 181 squadron, 182 squadron, 247 squadron) using Typhoon aircraft.
– 141 Wing (264 squadron) using Mosquito aircraft.
ALG B-6 history:
ALG B-6 is the largest aerodrome of the Royal Air Force in Normandy with a surface area of nearly 200 hectares. It consists of two parallel tracks installed between the towns of Coulombs (north), Cully (northeast) and Sainte-Croix-Grand-Tonne (south).
This aerodrome becomes the permanent base of the 124 Wing.
Commemorative stele north of Sainte-Croix-Grand-Tonne.