ALG A-6 – Beuzeville-au-Plain – La Londe
Battle of Normandy
This page presents the history of ALG (Advanced Landing Groud) A-6, used by the 9th United States Air Force during the Battle of Normandy.
9th United States Air Force
Localisation: Beuzeville-au-Plain – La Londe, Manche (50)
Coordinates: 49°25’15”N – 000°17’11”W
Construction: from June 7 to 15, 1944 by the 819th Engineer Aviation Battalion (EAB)
Operational period: from June 15 to September 18, 1944
Length: 1 524 m (5 000 feet)
Width: 36,57 m (120 feet)
Airstrip: Square-Mesh Track (SMT)
– 367th Fighter Group (392nd Fighter Squadron, 393rd Fighter Squadron, 394th Fighter Squadron) using P-38 Lightning.
– 371st Fighter Group (404th Fighter Squadron, 405th Fighter Squadron,406th Fighter Squadron) using P-47 Thunderbolt.
ALG A-6 history:
The first reconnaissance to select the location of the future ALG A-6 is under fire from June 7, 1944: after three days of work in the area of the farm La Londe between Sainte-Mère-Eglise and Beuzeville-au-Plain, the first Allied planes landed there (three Spitfire fighters piloted by Polish volunteers).
The ALG A-6 becomes the main base of the 371st Fighter Group.
– Commemorative stele on the departmental road 17, two kilometers north-east of Sainte-Mère-Eglise, near the place called La Londe.