No 4 Commando Museum
D-Day and Battle of Normandy museums
It is in the heart of the fighting of June 6, 1944 led by the No 4 Commando that the museum is installed, in front of the former German strongpoint, called the “casino”. Created in 1976, this museum pays tribute to British and French commandos who landed on D-Day at Sword Beach in front of the town of Colleville-Montgomery, and in particular the famous Free France “Kieffer Commando”. Gathering collector’s items and personal effects (weapons, uniforms, drawings, photos …) having been transmitted by the veterans themselves, the museum was for many years animated by Léon Gautier, veteran of the No 4 commando during the landing at Sword Beach.
Particularly instructive, an archival film and a model of more than three meters long make it possible to understand the course of the allied forces landing on June 6, 1944 in the area, as well as the liberation of Ouistreham. The visit is estimated at about fifty minutes.
– Coach parking near the museum.
– Places for light vehicles near the museum.